Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Ariel Lied, Flippin' Your Fins WILL Get You Far

That's right. Straight from the mermaid's mouth. Ariel was a lyin' fish. (Get it? Lyin' Fish...Lion Fish?! Okay, I'm fired for my puns.) BUT I can honestly promise you that if you flip your fins (or whatever it is you do) and keep trying you can and WILL be successful. No sea witch or legs required. How do I know this? Because I'm living proof. Which leads me into explaining to all of you wonderful viewers (by the way, we have reached over 1,800 page views thanks to YOU wonderful people) why I've been MIA for the past few weeks. But before I start rambling on about my adventures, I want to open the comments section to you folks. I would LOVE it if you posted a comment and let me know what dreams you have, your stories, where you have been, and what you have accomplished. And of course, any questions that you might have for me.

On to my stories......

Let me start with the adventure that I had at the Utah Renaissance Festival and Fantasy Faire. It was an exhausting few weeks to be absolutely honest. Very rewarding, but very exhausting. Being a part of the Faire was delightful, especially being able to work with the other entertainers, mermaids, vendors, and owners of the Faire. They treated us wonderfully, providing a very large and very deep and very cold pool for us to swim in. Being a North Pacific mermaid, I quite enjoyed the freezing waters....although my more tropical counterparts had troubles maintaining their warmth. Spending time with the little ones, and watching their eyes light up as I swam and played made my day. There is nothing I like more than a little one marveling at my tail. I think the best part was feeling like a true mermaid, and being seen as a true mermaid, not just a performer. I should correct myself, I ALWAYS feel like a mermaid, but it helps so much to have everyone else see me as my true self. And that's how I felt, I felt like I was in my true form. No joke, I seriously have problems walking and tend to have sea-legs. (Remember how Ariel walked right after she transformed....all the stumbling...? Yup, that was me!)

Mermaid Nikki and myself in the tank. 


My favorite experience was giving a mermaid kiss to a special little girl. Let me start by saying that due to safety issues, the kids actually watched us from a top a hill at quite a distance and patrons were only allowed to approach the pool if they were accompanied by someone from the Faire or there was an adult present. So this beautiful little girl watched me in amazement from the top of the hill. And while I couldn't hear the entire conversation, Janelle filled me in. Apparently she desperately wanted a mermaid kiss. So her wonderful grandmother paid Janelle and she took this little girl by the hand and led her down the hill and to the pool. The look in her eyes was priceless! She was a little bit shy at first, but her eyes were filled with a sense of magic that I had never seen before. She was glowing with excitement. How special it was for her to be taken by the hand by a walking sea maiden, to the tank full of mermaids! I pulled myself up to the edge to reach her. She was blushing and grinning from ear to ear. Janelle put beautiful red lipstick on my lips and I planted a kiss on each cheek. She was thrilled. It was a magical experience for me, I can't imagine the magic that she experienced, being kissed by a real mermaid. Janelle then walked her back to her family and gave her a special sea shell to remember it by. Sometimes I think we all need to be reminded that magic IS real, and that was one of those experiences.

Did I miss something? Do you have a question? Please feel free to comment below! 




No comments:

Post a Comment