Monday, June 10, 2013

Mermaids for Equal Rights!

Let me start this post by saying that it's rated PG-13. Now that I've made that disclaimer, I can move on to what I actually wanted to write about.....

I had a FABULOUS weekend! I spent most of it participating at the Utah Pride Festival. In my tail of course! I was actually asked by a very good friend to work and perform at his booth and then march in the parade with them. And it was an AMAZING experience! I met so many wonderful and amazing people from all walks of life. Lately I've been listening to a Lupe Fiasco song that fits how I feel about the entire situation. It's called "Words I Never Said". The entire song is about standing up for what you believe in and making a difference by speaking out. I've been spending a lot of time being so "kid friendly" that I haven't been participating in these types of events for fear that it would harm my client base. Now I can honestly say that I don't give a damn. It's important for everyone to know that first off I am a Pagan mermaid, democrat, free-thinker, and I believe in equality FOR EVERYONE. I don't care if you are straight or gay, male or female, fat or thin, Christian or Pagan or Muslim or Mormon or Jewish or whatever you find faith in....the list goes on and on......we ALL deserve happiness and equality. Period. If you feel like you deserve happiness and freedom, then you should also know that ANYONE AND EVERYONE deserves the same rights you have. So here's me on my little soapbox. This is what I believe in. Every mermaid has a cause. A lot are into supporting the ocean and the environment, which is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but be warned that this mermaid's focus is on equality and people. I am here to prove that your dreams are achievable no matter who you are or what you look like and that no one can take that from you. I also want to show support for all walks of life. Your life is yours to live, and only you know how to live it best. No matter who you are, never forget that. And remember that what's right for you, isn't necessarily right for someone else and vice versa. You will most likely start seeing me at various festivals, protests, etc (in my tail, usually) promoting not only the business aspect of what I do, but also proving that magic is real and that everyone deserves the same rights that I have, and that everyone can achieve their dreams.

Here's the mermaid with the Salt Lake Pagan Society! Thanks to Baron Daniel Cureton for the invite and for letting me march (er, wheel) with them in the parade!

Which reminds me.....you'll probably start seeing Mermaids of the Great Salt Lake and the rest of my mermaid endeavors start to transform a little bit. We're a small business, so the first couple of years is always growth and change, and it's time for us to start changing a bit. While we will always maintain a kid friendly image when it comes to private parties and functions, you will also start seeing us branch out into the adult world a little bit more. We will start offering services for adults (mermaid transformations, products, parties, fortune telling, etc.), and start participating in more causes, whether they be kid friendly (like some of the festivals we have attended) or aimed more toward an adult audience (like the Utah Pride Festival). We may even change our name or start up a new page, to be determined. Same mermaids different packaging. I want this business to encompass more than just birthday parties for kids. We are so much more talented than just performing at the occasional party, and we have had a lot of successes with some of our other endeavors as well.

Speaking of talents, I wanted to write a little about what I actually DID at the Pride Festival. One of the many talents that I have as a mermaid is that, simply put, I'm psychic. I've been that way all my life. A couple of years ago, I actually did tarot and energy readings on a regular basis to support my income and help out a few friends that owned metaphysical and pagan shops around the valley. So I spent all Saturday evening doing mystic mermaid readings. It's always nice to have feedback, especially when multiple people are coming back to you with friends, exclaiming that you "blew their mind". What was better, was being able to actually help people with some serious problems that they have had. I'm not allowed to talk about what I read (it's an oath I took to maintain privacy) here, but I can tell you that so many people desperately needed help. And I realized why I originally started doing readings so many years ago! I feel that I am so very blessed in my life, and I do so love sharing my blessings with others.

So now I would like to do some of that sharing with all of you fabulous readers! If you're reading this and want a *free* online or telephone reading here's what you need to do:
1. Make sure you've *Liked* Mermaids of the Great Salt Lake
2. Send me an email (mermaidleiloni@gmail.com) with your name, age, question, and a few details about the nature of your question. Also include your preferred method of contact. Telephone readings will be limited to 10 minutes.
3. Follow this blog and comment below letting me know you've sent your email!
4. Please note that I'll be giving away Mystic Mermaid Readings to the first 10 people to comment!

So this particular post is getting a bit long, and quite frankly, my fins are a little tired after standing on that soapbox! But I felt after this event that it's important for me to share not only my beliefs and what I will stand up for, but some of my talents as well. I can't wait to hear from some of you!

4 comments:

  1. I too, believe all ^creatures^ deserve respect from everyone and am so excited to see you using more talents! (No reading for me - I just wanted you to know I read and respect your work!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You my dear sister are an amazing mermaid. I love you dearly and agree with the equality you believe in. It was amazing to meet so many people at the Pride Festival and to join in helping the few I did. I hope life will continue to bless you in all your endeavors and that you will know how much you are loved. (Of course, no need to include me on the reading, I just wanted to comment on this post).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too sis! To be honest, I wouldn't be here without you!

      Delete