Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Dragon Fyre Faire

I am finally unpacked and my apartment is put back together after a phenomenal weekend at the Dragon Fyre Faire in Soda Springs. I came back with some beautiful souvenirs, including an even darker tan and a couple of sunburns and plenty of stories to share!

First off I want to thank everyone for having us there! It was such a wonderful weekend! Thanks to all the organizers and individuals that provided us with motel lodgings when our tent leaked, knights in shining armor to lift and carry us, wonderful food, help in and out of our tails (mine specifically), keeping us hydrated, and of course camaraderie we wouldn't trade for the world! I truly felt like everyone was family, and I cannot wait for the faire next year.

The Fourth of July parade was amazing. I was actually surprised at how many people lined the streets! Soda Springs is a fairly small town, but the place was packed with people. It always makes my day to hear people shout, "A mermaid! Oh my gosh! Do you see the mermaids? Look! Real mermaids!" There was so much excitement and energy from the crowd that we nearly forgot about how hot and sore we were! Our poor tails were dying by the end (and by tails, I really mean toes) and we were sweating but it was so worth it! And what a blast to ride on the float....especially the ride after the parade to the faire site! We were all talking about how it was a little scary to hold on for dear life as we rode the mile or so on the float to the site. I think poor King Henry was a little pale afterward! After that ride, I went back to the city park to sit out on the grass, entertain some darling kids, and watch the ACL (Armored Combat League) battle it out. In fact, one darling little girl brought me over some pink beads as a present. She bashfully gave me the necklace and said, "I want you to have it!" It was so sweet. The kids could hardly believe their eyes at the sight of a real mermaid. I was asked lots of questions about where I came from and why I was there. The rest of the day was spent setting up, and then we had a soft opening in the afternoon. I think that the most relaxing part of the day was (finally!) being thrown into the cold pool. We had access to city or well water that was delightfully cold! We also found out that there were lots of gophers....and we're lucky none of them tried to use the hole that was in the middle of our pool. They would have been in for an awful surprise! That evening we were given some beautiful ribbon circlets by a little girl whose family was camped next to us. She also came by the next day to make oceans in a bottle with us, and even helped us out by bringing water bottles and shoes to the pool's edge. That night we watched some of the most beautiful fireworks, and it was the perfect end to the day.

Friday started out perfectly. Sun shining, pool filled, a light breeze. It was also the first day that we did our stage shows. I told the story of how I came to land, and what kind of mermaid I am. (I will post it at a later date.) Followed by some singing. First of all, thank heavens I got my voice back to sing! I'm not 100% yet, but I was able to perform, and that's all that matters! The delightful knights lifted me to the stage and I sang and told stories with Nikki. The second performance of the day was a little set up with the pirates! The scallywags kidnapped me from my cool lagoon, put me on the stage, and forced me to sing and tell stories at swordpoint! Of course, many mermaid curses were said! (Son of a Fish!, You blubbering barnacle!, etc.) It went well with the audiences, although one of our darling little fans (her name was Allison) thought it was a little too real. Her mother told us she was so worried when I was captured, and was crying and saying thinks like, "Ouch Fishie! No Fishie! Give Fishie back!" After everything was said and done, I had to assure her I was okay. Later that afternoon a large thunderstorm rolled in. And our poor tent simply couldn't handle the rain and was leaking at the seams. Luckily the faire owners were kind and put us up for the night. It was probably one of the heaviest rainfalls I've been in (with the exception of Florida). Just being out in the rain for a few minutes drenched me!  

Saturday was much of the same, shows and patrons and excitement. The best part of the day was transforming Tangl into a mermaid and then doing our story show with her in the evening. She made a delightful mer! Although, on stage we had to keep her from singing Barnacle Bill and telling some of her less-than-family-friendly fish stories! That day cute little Allison ran to me (and away from her parents!) yelling: "Fishie! Fishie!" Apparently that day I was the draw for her to take a bath and put her shoes on. Her parents just said, "You have to be clean to see the mermaids!" and "You need to put on your pretty dress and shoes to go see the mermaids!"

I think I will finish the blog with lots of pictures, as pictures are worth at least a thousand words (so there's at least 8,000 words here)!
Me (and my pet seahorse) lounging in the pool. 

Our table of wares. 

The mermaid grotto. You can see the pool to the right. 

Tangl, Nikki, and myself in the pool. 

Nikki, and if you look closely you can see the pirate ship (and the storm!)

SeaQueen Janelle, busy crafting as usual!


This isn't my best facial expression, but here's us telling fish tales on the stage. 

Seahorse kisses!

No comments:

Post a Comment