Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Not like the other mers...

I have to say, it always makes me incredibly happy to hear from fans and to get feedback on what I do. I had a special experience I wanted to blog about separately that happened at the Dragon Fyre Faire. While shopping in the rain (really, the best time for mermaids to shop) I was browsing in a booth and the lovely woman who ran the booth (you know who you are!) stopped to talk to me for a little while. She had mentioned that her daughter had met me at the Utah Renaissance Faire and fell in love with mermaids. I knew she had met me specifically as she recounted that her daughter told her that if she dreamed and believed and wished very hard when she grew up that she could be a mermaid too! (This is something I often tell kids when I give them a mermaid treasure.) It was so wonderful to hear from this mom that her little girl kept wishing and assuring her that she would be a mermaid when she grows up. She also told me that she was thrilled that her daughter had someone to look up to that wasn't your typical celebrity or model type. That moment really validated what I do. I get lots of great feedback, but it meant a lot to me to hear that others can look to me for inspiration because I'm not like the other girls. And I pride myself on that. Part of the reason that I'm doing the MerPalooza pageant is because I want to show that you can compete with girls that are models and that no matter who you are, what you look like, or what your dress size is that you too can be beautiful and perfect and achieve your dreams!

So here's a promise. If I win the MerPalooza pageant either as Mrs. MerPalooza (or whatever the division title will be) or if I win the International Mermaid Queen title (wouldn't that be a dream come true!) I promise to use that title and status to remind everyone to believe in themselves and reach for their dreams. And to make as many appearances, blog posts, picture updates, etc to promote that idea. Along with that I will also continue my volunteer and charity work, something that I feel is very important because I think that every child should experience magic. I also promise to continue blogging and promoting positive self-image and reminding everyone that no shape or size determines your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment