Monday, October 8, 2012

Dreams So Real

The last time I went swimming I had a very unique experience. At the rec center that I have my membership to they require that all kids under the age of 18 leave the pool for a set 10 minutes at the top of every hour for a "bathroom break". Most of the kids just sit at the edge of the pool and wait. The benefit of these 10 minutes is the fact that I get the pool mostly to myself without having to worry about kids jumping on me. This time, I was swimming with a new mer-friend, Koral. About 15 kids lined up on the edge of the pool to watch us dive. I was exhausted, as we had already been swimming for a little over an hour, but I didn't want to disappoint the kids, so I put on a show. We were diving and swimming and flipping our tails. The kids were cheering and laughing like we were performers at Sea World. All except for one little girl. It was her response to being able to see a real mermaid that shocked and saddened me. It was a terrible reminder that so many children grow up too quickly. Too many people forget that fantasy, magic, and make believe are important, and healthy. She insisted that we weren't "real mermaids". And began to threaten us when we continued to tell her that we were real. Provided, these were threats of a 9 year-old. Threats of, "I'll tell my mom you're lying" and "I know a cop, and he'll arrest you for lying". I got to the point that I just laughed it off and swam away. Because yes, I'm sure some police officer is going to take the time to reprimand a performer for telling you she's real, or that your mother is going to ground me. What I said to the little girl was, "I'm sorry that you don't believe me, but I am a real mermaid, if I wasn't I wouldn't be able to swim in this tail!" What I was thinking was, "Look you little shit, you're ruining the magic for everyone else, I don't care what you believe, but quit ruining it for the other kids." But I did feel bad for poor Koral, being fairly new to the swimming part of mermaiding, was a little upset by how rude this girl was. More upset by the fact that she insisted on making her friends not believe either. The sad thing? I get kids like this all the time. Sure, I get more kids that see me as a mythical creature, but for ever 10 that believe, I get 1-2 that insist on ruining the magic for everyone else.

It's interesting, because I get the question, "Are you a real mermaid?" almost every time I go to the pool. My answer is ALWAYS YES. I remember once a kid asking me why I would lie to people about being a mermaid. And I thought this was an interesting point. When you go to Disneyland and meet Cinderella, no one asks her if she's real, because she is. There's Cinderella, blue ball gown and all, standing right in front of you. Real as day. A mermaid performer isn't any different. Yes, I am a real mermaid. Why? Because I'm a mermaid in my heart, I believe I am a mermaid, I perform as a mermaid. Therefore I am a mermaid. If you think about it though, what does a mermaid have? A tail, and the ability to swim in it. The lore varies on whether or not they live in the ocean or lakes, can breathe underwater or not, can change into a human or not, eat people or not, etc. But all mermaids have one thing in common. A tail of some kind (or an incredible swimming ability) and a love of the water. I have both. Therefore I am a mermaid. But this thought process can be applied to every dream that you have. You are what you dream. I don't care if you're a princess, a mermaid, or a unicorn you can be whatever you dream. Dreams are real. Dreams come true. I'm living proof. So the next time some brat child comes up to me and insists that I'm not real (or the next time ANYONE comes up to you and insists that your dreams aren't possible) just remember that if you can dream it, you can DO IT. Go ahead. Ask me if I'm a real mermaid. Because I am. 

5 comments:

  1. I am always worried about this question from kids. I am sarcastic by nature. I am almost always pleasent but every once and a while when a kid asks me "Are you real?" I so badly want to look at them, straight faced, and ask "Are YOU real?" but thats just me...

    I think your response (that you had a tail and could swim in it) was a great answer! Tell Koral not to be discourage about little kids. At one point they all believed in Santa and the harsh reality of school and bullies makes them stop believing.

    Cherish the ones that believe, and prove it to the stubbon ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother and I had a conversation similar to that (the Santa part, that is)! I won't be so discouraged, I promise. I just have to know what quick remarks to reply with. Though, I DO like "are YOU real?" hahaha!

      Delete
  2. You are an inspiration, Lei Loni! It was a very 'interesting' experience for sure, I'm sure there will be more to follow, and I have plenty more to learn about how to react and talk to the children. I'm trying!!

    I definitely plan on writing something in Psychology about how closed minded kids are being raised these days. That's one message us mermaids can send out: never stop believing and dreaming.

    Without dreams and make believe, I think a part of our soul decays. Those like that child at the pool "grow up" too fast, have cynical views on everything in life, or become so skeptical that they become bland and... robotic. To dream is to be unique. Dreamers I have known, have such an imagination, creativity, and personality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks for all the replies guys! :)

    Adella: I LOVE that response. :) I think I shall try it at the pool on Tuesday night.

    Koral: You did great though! :) I hope I didn't make it sound like you didn't do great (I can always edit the post if you're uncomfortable with it). Those were some of the most difficult kids I have come across, and you were fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing point of view. And I too get discouraged when I am asked this question, mermaiding with you. I think part of the problem that kids are facing today is all the media, the violent games they play at such a young age and too much television. When do they have time to dream, imagine and create? Another part of the problem, I believe, is from lack of creative venues in public schools. Rarely do I hear my nieces and nephews talk about an art or music class they had at school. If they have any exposure to art and music it is simply because their parents make it a point to have them involved in such things. I think it is a pity and I believe it does damage to a persons empathy without having a creative outlet of some sort.
    These are just my thoughts regarding the reactions of so many children about my beautiful Mermaid sister Lei Loni. It is a shame that you should ever encounter such children.
    Much love and happy swimming and dreaming.

    ReplyDelete